Monday, May 4, 2015

Learning on the way

We are still in Turkey...

I decided to give Dr Seuss a try. Since I was always doing things in Afrikaans I never used his books, but now since I started with it... I fell in love.  We are doing the Lorax.
Before I get to the Lorax though, we did a little "on the way homeschooling" (what this means is that while I am actually doing something else one of the kids might get really interested in something in nature or another topic and then we will make a plan to learn more about it)  Right now it is Jac and dandelions.

I was actually amazed that they came from flowers?  You probably knew that already...

Here is a very nice video to show you how....



After watching the video we went outside to see what we could find. Lets start at the beginning. First we found the flower


Different stages of the flower closing

The flower
Here the dandelion is beginning to open up

Opening up some more




And more
And finally the whole seed head

We decided to see what will happen if you light the seed head on fire.

It went... poof! Burned in an instant
Here is a picture Jac made of a dandelion



You can read about dandelions here:
Dandelion

It has a couple of medicinal uses as well - I will be looking into that for myself, but for the kids right now they just enjoy the fantasy of dandelions.

I just loved this......

Be a weed. A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.


No comments:

Post a Comment